Just in case you’ve been invited to appear on The View From the Bay, I thought I would provide you some “Need to know” tips and tricks on what to do (and what not to do) during your next appearance on View From the Bay.
I’m far from an expert, but I wish someone would have told me what I’m telling you. All of these tips are either things I screwed up on, was told the day of, or they’re things I noticed while I was on the set.
- VFTB is filmed in High Definition, so be prepared for every single detail from your waist up to show. UGGGGG, it sucks getting old!!!!!
- There’s a fabulous makeup artist available on most days, so by all means, let her work her magic on you. She mentioned “they go for the natural and casual look” so leave your false extra long eye-lashes and bright red “Gwen” lipstick at home.
- Spencer and Janelle are totally and perfectly wonderful, and make it really easy to have a conversation with them. Wear an extra layer of protection, don’t drink too much caffeine, and you’ll be good.
- Don’t eat the snacks in the green room. Why risk all that stuff getting stuck in your teeth under HD scrutiny?
- If your interview occurs while sitting in the tall red stool, remember this. It’s tall and red, so dress accordingly.
- I don’t know why I spent so much time worrying about the shoes I was going to wear. I’m pretty sure if I had my Asics on, you wouldn’t have noticed. (You start your interview seated in the tall red stool, not walking out as if you’re on Oprah).
- You’ll be wearing a mic that gets clipped on in the front of your shirt, and you’ll have a big box (the wireless device) in your back. Hence, you’ll have to sit up straight in your stool, no matter how much it hurts. I got a “miss” on this point.
- Ditch the too short skirts.
- Your top should have sleeves. I missed on this point too.
- The hosts are the stars, and Jess the producer of the show is the rock-star. He’s responsible for making sure everything goes smoothly with your segment. He’s involved and responsible for all the fine details, including the questions the hosts plan to ask you. Take good care of Jess.
- When you’re being interviewed, you’ll just look at the Spencer and Janelle, not at the camera’s.
- There’s a small studio audience. I was lucky enough to have 35 first graders as part of my audience. My topic…Textual Harassment. YIKES! I guess it could have been worse – I could have been discussing the sexiest body part to get your tattoo on or where baby’s come from!
- It’s best to wear jewel tones or black, but remember not to pick a color that clashes with the tall red stool!
- Don’t wear white… but I don’t have to tell you that.
- Take the time and spend the money to have your hair done by your favorite stylist. You won’t regret it. I didn’t do this, and boy am I sorry!
- Back to the stool. (Yes, I had issues with the stool) I made the mistake of resting my arms on both arm rests. Just rest on one side, preferably on the side next to your closest host.
- Did I mention the stool was red?
- Be prepared and watch several segments just before your segment is scheduled to air. This way you know what’s going on that week. I record and watch this show regularly, so I felt good about this part.